Thursday 2 October 2008

Worry

The way to beat anxiety is to first detach and then attach. We need to learn to detach from the things we're holding too tightly to and instead attach to Jesus. This is something of what I think Jesus is getting at in the following;

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The idea of a yoke is interesting as it implies that when we come to Jesus with our burdens he will place another different burden on us in its place. The difference is that his burden is light and we can carry it. A yoke also implies that Jesus will be directly guiding us along our way as we walk with him.

No comments: